Wednesday 9 June 2010

Late Night Art: review

Last Thursday was the late night art in Belfast. It was set be a good night, meeting up with friends to get to as many galleries as possible. First stop was the Naughton Gallery where I had a quick walk round Gary Shaws's work. The paintings are like magic eye pictures. Trippy. Then headed for the Omeau Baths Gallery where I waited for about 5mins until someone told me they weren't open that night. Bad times!

Luck seemed to change when we went round to SpaceCraft on Fountain Street. It was packed to the door and showed some great work from some 2nd year fine and applied students. There was a textile piece with some religious themes such as 'Babes of the Bible'. It was Funny. Saw some friends then headed to the next destination the Ps2 gallery. Was there for about 20mins drawing a plant-it was judged by a 10 year old kid and passed so I got to keep the plant I just drew. Nice present for some unlucky person. Me and mates were walking with 3 plants between us heading towards the Golden thread gallery getting weird looks by passers by. We arrived way too late and got only the last few crisps. The video installation by MacWilliam exploring the Life of a pencil (Bottom Image) and John Erickson photo montages Jema.us are a must see. We all went home with are heads filled with art and are hands each holding a potted plant. With one of the flowers getting eaten on the way home. You know who you are! I hid my plant in a brown paper bag when I entered the house as not to get a slagging from my flat mates.
It was a fun, see you at the next late night art. I should have some more calling cards next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment